Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Shut up the baby

One of the most fascinating aspects of being at home during the day is the opportunity to learn more about my neighbors. Once upon a time, my life was disrupted by a large black dog with a murderous bark. That dog has disappeared, and though I hated it with every fiber of my being, I hope that it is in a happy place.

I had an inkling of an idea that my downstairs neighbor was a babysitter during the day, but those suspicions have been confirmed with the sounds of 8:30 a.m. chatter in the hallway, followed by the shutting of a door and wails of a child. I never liked my neighbor much. She once called the police at 7:00 a.m. because I was "walking around with shoes on". When the coppers came to my door and told me of her complaint, I was so taken aback all I could manage to say was "Are you going to arrest my shoes?" They disliked her and now I was making their lives difficult, but I would like to think in a cute, punchy way. I likened myself to a wise-crackin' 20-something sassy gal about town in an early '80's sitcom. Kind of like the white neighbor in Good Times. Sure, I may look like the privileged white girl in the 'hood, but my life was full of trials and tribulations. During a more somber episode, perhaps, insights into my troubled childhood, or an abusive relationship would be exposed, making the neighbors love and appreciate me that much more.

But I digress. My point was to say, there is a baby crying downstairs. Please shut up the baby. I am trying to weblog, people!

No comments: