Wednesday, March 25, 2009

2 Girls for Five Bucks

As a belated birthday present, my dear friend S___ took me to a show at Ars Nova, "New York’s premier hub for emerging artists and new work in theater, comedy and music, producing provocative and affordable live entertainment." Quite a lofty summation, but five minutes after the show started I was thinking, "Wow, this is a great venue for emerging artists and new work in theater, comedy and music..."

From the very beginning I was taken in by the 2 Girls. Sat right up front, I had the fantastic vantage point of not just the stage, but I was able to look back at the small audience. Any time I did (which was rare as the ladies were captivating) the rest of the crowd looked equally enthralled.

I am not about to give a rundown of the production, but I will say that it was wonderfully refreshing to see a show with women who talk about dating without coming across as manbashers or simpering girls who "just can't seem to find the one". It's a delicate thing to discuss dating in New York without at some juncture pointing blame. When it isn't the blame card, one falls into a pattern of stereotypes. "Guys are douchebags; Women are clingy" 2 Girls are definitely quirky, often neurotic, gals about town, but they are also incredibly unique. They don't fill any sort of stereotype, they merely exhibit tendencies. It's theater, but it's not false and that is what makes it such a great show. Everything about 2 Girls for 5 Bucks feels familiar, but it doesn't leave you feeling "I could have done that", but instead you feel "Yes, Yes, Yes!"

OH, and one of the best elements was the band, The Ten Dollar Heartbreakers. Superb and ingenious, not to mention adorable.

No comments: