Monday, March 2, 2009

Serendipity

One of the first books I remember becoming mildly obsessed with as a child was 'Serendipity', by Stephen Cosgrove. It could be very well that it was just because it was a story about the trials and tribulations of an adorable monster, or it could be that I just liked that word: Serendipity. When I finally realized what it meant, I grew more fond of it. My childhood was good in many ways, but I remember feeling a great deal of frustration. Learning that there is such a thing as perfect timing, a happy accident in the cosmos thrilled me.

It had been a long time since I'd last thought about serendipity when I walked through the L'Oreal Academy doors on Saturday morning. After getting the obligatory forms signing away hair freedom, I looked up and saw none other than my friend from San Francisco. Apprehension isn't generally a feeling I get in regards to haircuts and things, but I certainly knew I was in good hands when I saw Amita. Any tension I had dissipated, and it was lovely just to sit around, flip through magazines, talk hair, or simply listen to others talk about hair. Something about it was incredibly soothing, like a 2009 version of the salon the ladies have in Steel Magnolias. Though I am quite pleased with the recent turn of umployment events, I still feel a bit of apprehension now and then. It has only been a week, so ask me again in a month. Seeing Amita, chatting up a storm and having my look transformed by someone I trust was incredibly soothing. And FUN! I expected one thing and got quite another; perfect timing.

No comments: