Friday, May 15, 2009

Pazzo Roadkilla

I have been in Roma less than a week, but feels like months-in a spectacularly good way. Today is meant to be a lazy day of sorts, local churches and museums and I am going to drag Kate to a discoteque.

Many things are striking and wonderful about this trip, but the one image that sticks in my head right now is that of a strange mess I saw on the narrow cobbled street near our apartment. It was a bit of animal gore with a glittery silver glint to it. Upon closer inspection I realized it was a fish. A sardine lost its life trying to cross a backstreet in Trastevere. Kate did not believe me (by the way, I cannot find the apostrophe key so no contracted words today, thanks) so I had to drag her back to inspect it. Meh, that was that. Until Eddie came in from fetching olive oil and said, Guys, look at this crazy roadkill and showed us a picture on his iPhone. I laughed and looked and then realized something was askew--it was in fact a different fish. Kate confirmed, yep, a different fish.

It still makes me giggle. Maybe it is the wine, maybe it is the jetlag, maybe it is just general happiness at being in a beautiful place with incredible apricots that taste like the sun or where everyone is gorgeous. Or maybe it is just hilarious.

No comments: