Saturday, July 11, 2009

Gunjumpin' Saturday

Today was the sort of day that I had to force myself outside, and when I did, I knew it was not going to be fruitful or productive.

I packed up my things, ready to hit Prospect Park and decided for a number of strange reasons, the primary one being laziness, to take the train.  I waited for about 20 minutes (could have walked to the park by then) and when the train finally arrived, it was virtually full.  I sat down in the last remaining seat and immediately worried why it was still available.  It didn't smell bad, no vomit on the bench, so I sat and started reading my book.  It was one stop later when I realized the object moving in the corner of my eye was much closer than I had initially thought.  I slowly turned my head to the right, and found myself staring into the eyes of an iguana who was perched on my neighbor's shoulder.  It's tail was threatening to touch my shoulder.   It was just a few seconds later that the doors between the cars opened and a man with one leg propelled himself into our car and started rattling his change cup.  The noise distracted me only slightly from the pain--the guy had rolled over my right foot.  I looked up suddenly and surely gasped a bit when it happened.  The man just looked at me in disgust, told me to watch my feet, shook his cup full of coins, and rolled on.  If anything I should have gotten a bit of cash, but no, he's in the wheelchair. fine.

I walked around a bit, overheard weird conversations about the farmer's market "Yeah, of course they have food...it's a market" and realized I needed to get to the sanctuary of home. STAT.

No comments: