Friday, February 20, 2009

33 Weeks

On Wednesday, February 18, at approximately 3:23 p.m., I was told my services were no longer affordable at my place of employment. I got the "it's not you, it's us" speech, was led to my office, packed up my books and several pairs of shoes, and made my way out the door. I was never extremely happy about that place, but it was sad and shocking. My eyes may have leaked a bit, watching other eyes get red and wet made it even worse. I made my way outside and called some people who may want to share my shock. Then I went home, changed into something less corporate, turned on my computer and filed for unemployment. I have done this once before, about two years ago, and though it wasn't the best feeling, it was comfortable. Like return to a hobo camp, with the same 55 gallon drum fireplace, shiv hidden under my pile of stolen blankets...there I was again, living off the gubment.

There are two major differences this time: As of March 1, 2009, the weekly payments increased by $25. Fantastic!!! Mani/pedi paid! The other difference was that legislation was passed to increase the length of benefits to 33 weeks. THIRTY-THREE WEEKS. It was at this point I realized I was gonna be o.k. More than o.k., 33 is my number. My talisman, the numerical equivalent to a rabbit's foot WITH a horse shoe. I was gonna be more than o.k., I was going to succeed. In what, I have no idea, but if there is a prize for unemploed-ness, I was going to win it.

No comments: